ICC U19-W T20 WC 2023: Preview all teams, groups, qualifier and format
ICC U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023
The first ever ICC Under-19 Women’s T20 World Cup will be held in South Africa, starting on January 14, 2023. The tournament will feature 16 teams competing in a total of 41 matches. Following this event, the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 will commence in South Africa on February 9th.
Teams Under-19 Women’s T20 World Cup
The first U19 Women’s T20 World Cup will feature 16 teams, with 11 Full-Member nations gaining automatic entry. These nations include Australia, Bangladesh, England, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies, and Zimbabwe. The remaining five spots were filled by teams from the ICC’s five regions, who qualified through regional tournaments that started in June. The teams have already announced their squads for the tournament, which begins on January 14
Qualifier ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023
19 teams participated in the regional qualifiers across Asia, Europe, East Asia-Pacific (EAP) and Africa, with the following teams making it through to the tournament:
- Asia Qualifier: UAE (Q)
- Africa Qualifier: Rwanda (Q)
- Europe Qualifier: Scotland (Q)
- EAP Qualifier: Indonesia (Q)
- USA gained the fifth spot as the only eligible Associate nation in the Americas region.
- The UAE team secured their spot in the tournament as the first to qualify after winning the Asia Qualifier in Malaysia with a six-wicket victory over Thailand. Both teams had advanced to the final after defeating all other competitors, with UAE coming out on top.
- In the EAP qualifier, Indonesia defeated PNG in a 2-1 series victory to secure their place in the main tournament.
- Scotland also secured their spot by winning back-to-back matches against Netherlands in the Europe Qualifier.
- In the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier 2022, Rwanda secured a spot in the tournament for the first time by defeating Tanzania by six wickets in the final. This will be their first appearance at an ICC World Cup tournament at any level.
ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 format and groups
The 16 teams are divided into groups of four as below:
Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and USA
England, Pakistan, Rwanda and Zimbabwe
Indonesia, Ireland, New Zealand and West Indies
India, Scotland, South Africa and the UAE
ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup -Super Six stage
In the tournament, the top three teams from each group will advance to the Super Six round. The teams will be divided into two groups of six, with Group 1 consisting of three teams each from Groups A and D, and Group 2 including three teams each from Groups B and C.
ICC U19 Women T20 World Cup 2023- Semi Final and Final
The top two teams from each group in the Super Six round will move on to the semi-finals, to be held on January 27 at JB Marks Oval in Potchefstroom. The final match will also take place at the same venue on January 29.